This post may contain affiliate or referral codes, for which I receive a small compensation and you get a discount in exchange. These help support the blog, so I can keep creating content.
Commenting on other blogs is a great way to help drive traffic towards your blog, as well as make connections with other bloggers. Now there is no wrong way of leaving blog comments, but there are some ways that are better than others.
Things NOT to do in blog comments:
- Leave quick, one worded comments. No ones like receiving a text messages that says “Ok.” Similar concept goes for blog comments. Especially if you are only doing it to leave links back to your blog or social media accounts. Also it shows you didn’t fully read the post.
- On that same style, don’t comment just to ask the blogger or their readers to check out your blog. It ends up coming across as desperate or rude, which is not what you want.
- Don’t say anything you wouldn’t say to the person’s face. This goes from anything about the blogger themselves or their writing style. Basically don’t be an internet troll or try to start arguments.
- Don’t leave comments unrelated to the blog post, as it’s out of place and doesn’t lead to much feedback/discussion in the end.
Things to do in blog comments:
- Leave encouraging, thoughtful, or constructive comments that further the conversation by talking about one or two points to comment on.
- Make conversation with others in the comment section, but keep it related to the post and their comment.
- If you see someone in the comments has a question, try to give an answer. Same goes for if the blogger asks a question in their post.
- After your comment, leave a link to your blog, most recent blog, or a post you’ve written that is similar to the content on the one you’re commenting on. But a note of caution, check that blogger first to make sure it is okay with links being left in the comment section. Some people do not like it in there and will state it somewhere on their blog.
- Give the blog author and other readers the benefit of the doubt. Misunderstanding and miscommunication are the cause of much unnecessary strife online.
Blog commenting is a great way to meet new bloggers, make new friends, and get traffic back to your blog. So what are some of your dos and don’ts for blog commenting?