Pin-up makeup has to be one of my favorite styles to date from the winged eyeliner to the bold lip. Pin-up makeup has it all! So I am really excited to share this post with you guys from Tracey Clayton. As I am a cruelty-free blogger, I do have to recommend NYX, e.l.f., wet n wild, and L.A. Girl over Maybelline or L’Oreal. But they are still great options if you don’t care about that kind of thing. ♥ Mae
Although the pin-up style is something we associate with the ‘40s and ‘50s of the previous century and the old-era IT girls like Betty Grable, it still hasn’t lost its spark and the power to make a girl look more feminine, sexy, but at the same time, more powerful. Just look at all those modern celebrities rocking the pin-up style, such as Katy Perry, Dita Von Teese and Christina Aguilera. However, you don’t have to have Beyoncé’s budget to be able to pull off a masterful pin-up makeup. Here are some tricks that will help you do it quickly even if you’re on a budget.
Stick to the affordable makeup brands
Let’s start with the elephant in the room here, most of the makeup brands on the market are too expensive for an average woman, while most of the cheap ones are of poor quality. However, this is not always true. There are several affordable makeup brands that will make you feel and look like a celebrity. The ones that truly stand out when it comes to price-quality ratio are NYX Cosmetics, Maybelline, L’Oréal Paris, LA Girl, and E.L.F. Cosmetics.
Makeup products you need
Now that we’ve got the affordable brands covered, it’s time to check which makeup products you should obtain:
● Foundation – find the one that best suits your skin, it should be matte and not glowing
● Brow pencil, gel or shadow
● Black eyeliner with a good brush
● Black volume enhancing mascara
● Pressed powder
● Vibrant red lipstick – matte finish is preferable
● Blush (optional)
Pin-up makeup guide – step-by-step
Prepare all of your tools so that they’re within your reach and get started.
- Apply the foundation evenly (if you want, you can apply a primer before) using a foundation brush, sponge or your fingers. Set with pressed powder.
- Use a highlighter to highlight the area under your brows.
- Fill out each brow with a brow pencil, gel or shadow.
- Use pressed powder as a base on your eyelids.
- Apply the eyeliner from the inside corner of each eye to the outside corners creating a winged tail (you can use a spoon or a card to get a better shape).
- Improve the volume of your eyelashes with a volume-enhancing mascara.
- Apply matte red lipstick (using a lip pencil to frame your lips is optional).
- Blush isn’t a necessary makeup product in the pin-up style since this look insists on pale skin. However, if you love to add a bit of life to your cheeks, choose a natural pinkish or peachy shade, and don’t overdo it.
Final tips for the perfect pin-up look
Makeup is the most important element of a pin-up look, and it can look great independently of what you are wearing or your hairstyle. Still, if you want to go all the way with your “cheesecake” style, you can complement it with your outfit and your hair. So, here are some final tips to making that work.
● Pin-up outfit: Since this article is all about affordability, we’ll only talk about the clothes you probably already have in your closet or the ones you can buy at low prices. Some things you may find useful are tied up gingham shirt, high-waist shorts, peep-toe shoes, pencil skirt and ‘50s style dress. If you don’t have either of these in your closet, don’t worry – there are plenty of affordable vintage dresses and stylish plus size dresses you can find online, in consignment stores, shopping malls and even flea markets.
● Pin-up hairstyles: If you are looking for a quick on-the-go pin-up hairstyle, all you need to do is tie your hair in a ponytail with a satin ribbon. If you want to invest more time, you can curl up your hair with a flat iron to get large luxurious waves, make a high bun, or make authentic Victory rolls.
The pin-up style has carved its way to a timeless look. These tips will help you master it quick, easily, and most importantly, without desolating your wallet.
About the author:
Tracey Clayton is a full time mom of three girls. She’s passionate about fashion, home décor and healthy living. Her motto is: “Live the life you love, love the life you live.” Find her on Facebook.
This post may contain affiliate or referral codes. Please help support the blog by using them!