Is L’Oréal & Sub-Brands Cruelty Free?
Originally when I was going to write today's "Is (BLANK) Cruelty Free?" I was going to focus on Maybelline but I well writing it I decided let's switch things up and focus on the parent company L’Oréal and their many sub-brands/companies. Other brands that L’Oréal owns include: RedKen, PurOlogy, Maybelline, NYX Cosmetics*, Essie, Carol's Daughter, Magic, Niely Cosméticos, YSL, Lancôme, Giorgio Armani, Biotherm, Garnier, Ombrelle, Dermablend, Cacharel, Diesel, Viktor & Rolf, Ralph Lauren, Kiehl's, The Body Shop*, Shu Uemura, Clarisonic, and Colorama. As a note some of the brands on this list actually are cruelty free. These have been notated by a '*' as they no not refer their policies back to L’Oréal. And these ones will have their own individual posts in the future.
The criteria I use to determine if a brand is cruelty free are the following:
- Don't test finished products or ingredients on animals.
- Don't have suppliers who test on animals.
- Don't allow any third parties to test on animals on their behalf.
- Don't sell cosmetics in physical store in mainland China.
- Don't test on animals where required by law.
At a Glance
- Finished products tested on animals: No
- Ingredients tested on animals: No
- Third party animal testing: No
- Tested on animals where required by law: Yes
- Sold in mainland China: Yes
- Certifications: None
- Parent company: None. They are the parent company.
- Parent company status: N/A
L’Oréal and their sub-companies test on animals. If you would still like me to make individual posts on each of the brands that are not cruelty free that L’Oréal owns, I can make these in the future. The ones that are cruelty free will for sure have a post at some point in the future. If you would love cruelty free alternatives check out the cruelty-free full brand list and drugstore guides.