This post may contain affiliate or referral codes, for which I receive a small compensation and you get a discount in exchange. These help support the blog, so I can keep creating content. I appreciate your support.
I don’t know why, but instead of writing about a book I’ve just read I thought I would share thoughts and theories on A Court of Silver Flames which is the fourth (next) book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas. It doesn’t come out until March, but I felt like sharing some thoughts on characters and theories on the upcoming book.
If you have not read the series, I would recommend not reading this post as there may be spoilers for it since I’m discussing future things that might happen. Of course, any of the theories I don’t know if they are true or not that this point as the book isn’t out for another three months.
A Court of Silver Flames was released, to read my thoughts on it check out this post.
Thoughts on Nesta
I want to read her POV more after A Court of Frost and Starlight mostly as I want to see her character develop and grow. But I can’t say she’s my favorite character by any means.
There are a lot of things she’s done that bother me:
- Let her sister go risk her life to support the family, then spent what little money Feyre made on non-essential things.
- Took advantage of Feyre and Rhys to support everything she did. Yes, she doesn’t want anything to do with the Inner Circle after what happened (being forced to become Fae and the war) but she uses them instead of making her own way. Not saying they treat her the greatest, but she also is mean/rude to them and uses their money to party every night. I can see why they don’t really want to deal with her.
- Only cares about ONE of her sisters. Literally, she doesn’t care if anything happens to Feyre but wants Feyre to do everything for her.
But she’s also gone through a lot of trauma (sexual assault, kidnapped, war, etc.). I really hope that she figures out how to handle it. Though I don’t think the Illyrian mountains are going to be good for her, since a good majority of her recent drama is regarding war. So, a place of war-ready individuals is probably not the best place for her to go.
Apparently, it’s supposed to be good and helped Sarah J. Maas work through her own trauma while writing this book. So, I have a feeling Nesta will figure it out. But I have a feeling it’s going to be a good portion of the book where she’s still going to be extremely closed off.
What was in the Solstice present?
I actually don’t know the answer to this, or have any guesses what it could be. Considering it took Cassian months to pick out the gift, and he didn’t want to give it to her in front of others. I do think Nesta and Cassian are mates, but the present is a complete mystery to me. Because I don’t think it’s something as simple as a key or ring or jewelry, but I do think it’s something smaller. Since the present was easy for Cassian to hide on his person from the rest of the Inner Circle during Winter Solstice until they were walking back to Nesta’s apartment.
Thoughts on Cassian
As I mentioned, I do this Cassian and Nesta are mates. However, there are a few things that I think are glaring issues about their relationship. And I completely get why Nesta wants nothing to do with Cassian (at the moment) because of it. Other than the fact that she was sexually assaulted in the past. That’s a whole other thing.
Cassian while he clearly wants her. He also ignores her in front of his friends, and every time Mor comes around he drops everything to go towards her. Yes, Cassian and Mor had sex in the past once when they were teenagers. It’s been five hundred years since then, and they aren’t a thing. Mor is into women, so she’s not trying to be romantic with Cassian at this point. Yet Cassian drops whatever he’s talking about or doing with Nesta the second Mor appears. Nesta has to be hurt by this as she’s treated like an after thought. She’s the one who notices he has a sprained wrist, and after bandages it for him, Cassian goes off mocking and talking with Mor. Nesta almost dies staying with Cassian, then the second the battle is over Cassian leaves her to go to Mor after making a declaration of love.
Not to mention in the exclusive bonus chapter from A Court of Mist and Fury Cassian says that Nesta is the one person he doesn’t want to tell Mor about. And that’s evident throughout the rest of the series. While he crawls to her, and always come for Nesta when she’s in danger, he still treats her mostly like a ghost whenever Mor is around. The dude needs to sort out his priorities, or it’s never going to work between them.
Who Will Die?
Sarah J. Maas admitted that someone will die in the book. I have two different theories on who this is going to be.
- Helion. As much as I love the High Lord of the Day Court, I feel like him dying would give Lucien a place in their world. He isn’t part of the Night Court though he goes there purely as he helps them out and to be close to Elain (who doesn’t want anything to do with him), and he has been kicked out of the Spring Court. Since his father is Helion (granted Lucien doesn’t know this as Feyre has not revealed that information to anyone other than Rhys), the power would pass to Lucien when Helion dies. So, it would make a place that Lucien actually fits in. I’m not a massive fan of his, but I don’t hate him either. He is kind of just one of those background characters that appears and disappears to me, always has been. But I do think that Lucien hasn’t found his place yet, and once he finds it then he’ll grow on me more.
- Cassian. Even though he’s one of the two main characters in this upcoming book. I have a bad feeling he’s going to die. Especially considering Elain (the seer) has point blank said, “No, it will not.” in regards to Cassian saying that “It’ll take more than that to kill me.” This was in Chapter 30 of A Court of Wings and Ruin. Considering, he has gotten a lot of almost life ending injuries during that book, it could be argued that’s what she saw but maybe not.
I do not think Azriel will die as Sarah J. Maas has stated there will be a book with his POV in the future, and one of the exclusive copies of ACOSF will have a chapter from him.
Thoughts on Elain With Lucien or Azriel
I don’t think this will be something that comes up in A Court of Silver Flames, but maybe the next book which is Azriel’s. I don’t think Elain will ever accept the mating bond with Lucien. For starters, he has treated her like a broken doll and territory. Though it was Ianthe who betrayed the sisters to Hybern, Lucien was right there on the side of Hybern when her life was turned upside down. Not to mention, he claims her immediately when she’s trying to sort out everything that has happened to her. And strongly reacts to the fact she was engaged. He doesn’t give a shit about it, when Elain does.
Azriel on the other hand hasn’t once treated her like a broken doll. He helps her figure out the whole seer thing. Also, he listens and understands her when no one else does. Plus, he’s always kind to her. Sure, he’s been transfixed on Mor for 500 years, but he refuses to let anything bad happen to Elain. He immediately notices that Elain is missing, when neither of her sisters did. And states he’s going to get her back with or without help. Yes, Feyre goes with but it’s mostly Azriel that does the rescuing. And he gives her his hunting knife that he never lets anyone else touch. He also makes the entire Inner Circle wait to eat until Elain has joined them at the table. I think they would be good together. And even if they don’t end up together, I love their friendship. It’s one of the healthiest relationships in the book. And for that reason alone, I love it.
What do you think will happen with characters in the next book of the series?
Join the Howl of the Pack today by subscribing! To stay updated on everything I’m doing, follow me on Twitter as that’s where I post quick updates. Or join our Discord server. Also, if you like this post, let me know in the comment section, it really helps me figure out what content you guys appreciate. Don’t be shy I would love to hear from you!