Something that I've been wanting to do for the past few weeks is going more minimalist. Now I'm not a master at it but I do have some tips or guidelines that I've been following for changing my lifestyle in case you've ever been interested in minimalism.
What is Minimalism?
Before diving into the tips/guidelines of going minimalist, it would probably be a good idea to define what minimalism is. And I love this quote from mnmlist that describes it. And something I'm trying to incorporate throughout my life.
Tips/Guideline for Going Minimal
- Challenge yourself to have spending freezes. No purchases besides the necessities and groceries.
- Get into the habit of doing chores daily instead of letting them pile up.
- Keep a "donate" box that you put things into throughout the month when you find things you no longer need. That way when you leave you can easy bring it to a donation center.
- Spend time unsubscribing to letters, magazines, or newsletters that you don't actually follow or need. Like spam emails that you click delete on all the time but never go in and unsubscribe from them.
- Go paperless on your bills. This will help limit the clutter in your home and help out the environment.
- Make sure every item you have is kept in a dedicated spot in your home.
- Every time you buy something new for your home or wardrobe, you get rid of something old in return.
- Keep a strict spending budget and actually follow it.
- Focus on the things that are truly important, instead of always chasing the high that something new brings.
- Downsize the stuff you own, and let the size of your house dictate how much stuff you have rather than the other way around.
- Make a conscious effort to stick to the basics.
- Take photos of things I no longer need but feel emotionally attached to so I'll always have a picture to remember them by.
- Declutter all belongings (wardrobe, makeup stash, towel closet, refrigerator, etc.).
- Regularly educate myself on minimalism and how to fully embrace this lifestyle.
These are the basic tips that I followed when switching over to a more minimal lifestyle over the past few weeks. For instance, I cleared out almost half of my wardrobe. Yes I did a ROMWE haul just yesterday, but my wardrobe is still half of what it was before. And these outfits are perfect to fit in with the minimal scheme to my clothing now. And I'm no longer going to be doing hauls on beauty because I can just make do with what I currently have. I'm still going through everything in my makeup collection. If I don't use it, then it's going to go. And the goal is to never get anything that I don't need and especially doesn't fit into my makeup storage. No more getting bigger storage or anything like that. And that doesn't mean I'm going to cut myself off completely from getting new products but it is making me more mindful of what I'm purchasing. Do I really need it or is it something I just want?
What are your tips for switching to a minimalist lifestyle?