As I am a cruelty-free makeup enthusiast/collector, I try to stay very informed on which brands are and are not cruelty-free. This goes from reading other blogs, accreditation with Leaping Bunny or PETA, and even if it’s listed in those locations doing research myself to determine if a brand is truly cruelty free. Just because a brand is accredited doesn’t always mean they are actually cruelty free. I’ve seen many different cruelty free guides in the past and had a different one as well that was just a list and wasn’t easy to search. Or there were multiple guides you had to switch between just to find out specific information. And I wanted a guide that was easier to use so I’ve spent countless hours developing this interactive guide to be that missing link between everything. So you don’t have to go to multiple pages or sites to get everything you need to shop cruelty free.
The criteria I use to determine if a brand is cruelty free are the following:
- Don’t test finished products or ingredients on animals.
- Don’t have suppliers who test on animals.
- Don’t allow any third parties to test on animals on their behalf.
- Don’t sell cosmetics in physical store in mainland China.
- Don’t test on animals where required by law.
How to use the search function:
- To search for a specific brand, enter the brand in the search bar.
- To search for a specific price range, enter either drugstore (majority of prices starting below $20), mid-range (majority of prices starting between $20-60), or luxury (majority of prices starting above $60) in the search bar.
- To search for a specific store or website, enter the store in the search bar. If nothing comes up for your store, let me know and I’ll research brands sold there and get it added into the guide. Note brands that sell only online are under eCommerce.
- To search for a specific type of product (makeup, brushes, skin care, hair care, hair dye, false lashes, and more) into the search bar and this will limit the list down to those categories.
- To search for brands that have vegan options, enter vegan in the search bar.
I am also going to add notes if the brand is cruelty free but a parent company is not. I spent a lot of hours trying to perfect this list. Let me know if you think anything on this list is off or I’m missing a brand you think should be on here. I’ll do the research then add them if needed.