This post may contain affiliate or referral codes. Please help support the blog by using them!
Toby Fox recently launched a new game called Deltarune, well more specifically just the first chapter of the game. Which is very, very similar in look and storytelling as Undertale. But from first and second playthrough of the game it is not directly connected together. As in one of is not a sequel or prequel of the other. Toby Fox even states they are different on his Twitter. However, there are still a lot of connections between the games so what are those?
The title of the game Deltarune is an anagram of Undertale.
Same goes with the character Asriel from the first game. They have two references in the game. The first being that Asriel is your brother in the game who is off at college and returning the following week. And the other is in the Dark World there is a character named Ralsei, which as you guessed is an anagram of Asriel.
You will see a lot of familiar faces in Deltarune as in Undertale. However, there is one major difference. None of them know each other or recall their time in Undertale. You won’t see everyone from the first game but a good assortment of them, I’m going to list them in the order they appear:
- Toriel – Goat mom is still yours and Asriel’s mom. She also has glasses now, still makes cinnamon butterscotch pies, and loves reading about snails. She is also a teacher like Toriel wanted to be in Undertale.
- Asriel – In this reality Asriel is your brother and has gone off to college. Whereas, in Undertale he was Flowey as well as a prince. It’s not mentioned if Ralsei is Asriel but they are a goat, a prince of the Dark land, and wear glasses like Toriel. So possible link there but not confirmed thus far in the game. Especially since their looks change when they are in a dark world.
- Undyne – She is a police officer in the town where you live. Undyne also has no idea who Alphys is.
- Alphys – She is now your timid teacher still obsessed with manga.
- Temmie – They are your classmate now.
- Catti – They are your classmate now. While in Undertale they were a shop keeper.
- Monster Kid – They are your classmate now.
- Snowy – They are your classmate now.
- Burgerpants – Shop owner in town just like in Undertale.
- Asgore – Kris and Asriel’s father, and owner of a small flower shop. He had a falling-out with Toriel some time in the past just like in Undertale.
- Sans – If you explore the town after your adventures in the dark world you’ll come across Sans, who wants you to hang out tomorrow with Papyrus (though his name is not mentioned). You can ask about the other characters but they don’t recall anyone, but do get confused if you interact with him as if you’ve met before.
- Onion-san: Makes an appearance in the lake
- Chara – Ok this isn’t very explicitly mentioned that you are Chara. But you wear the exact some clothes, and in the end your character rips out their heart and reveals a knife and glowing red eyes. Exactly like Chara has and immediately after the reveal, the game closes. Just like if Chara is unleashed in the genocide route in Undertale.
The main symbol shown throughout the game is the Dreamer family sigil. So it is possible the worlds are mirrors of each other thus allowing there to be a light world and a dark world with different realities to Undertale.
The location has the incorrect spelling in both Undertale and Deltarune. Also if you go into the library at the end of the game, the monster that blocks access to the rest of the books looks similar to one of Gaster’s followers in Undertale.
References to Deltarune in Undertale
One of the shop keepers in Undertale told stories about Delta Rune in the waterfall area. In the same area the clam girl takes about their friend named Suzy who is the same age as Frisk and Chara. That clam girl is one of Gaster’s followers that doesn’t allows appear in Undertale.
The teleportation doors that let you fast travel use the same graphics as the door to Sans’ room in Undertale, suggesting that this might be how he warped around the world so fast.
At the end of the game, checking the gravestones in town will reference monsters that were part of the amalgams in Alphys’ hidden lab in Undertale. There is also a gravestone for Gerson, one of the shop owners in Undertale.
Did I miss any other connections? Let me know in the comments!
Join the Howl of the Pack today by subscribing! Or support this blog over on Patreon so I can continue to put out quality content for you! To stay updated on everything I’m doing, follow me on Twitter as that’s where I post quick updates. Also, if you like this post, let me know in the comment section, it really helps me figure out what content you guys appreciate. Don’t be shy I would love to hear from you!